Friday, August 7, 2009

Award





Hey folks,

Back in February I wrote and illustrated a wee reader called Tim and Sam for Hooked on Phonics' total revamping of their Learn to Read program. In doing so, I was pleased to join the company of such children's book stars as Rosemary Wells and Michelle Knudsen.

I was assigned the kindergarten level, and given a list of a hundred or so 3-letter words with which to write a compelling story. This resulted in Tim and Sam, the tale of a race between a fox and a bulldog. It is based on the sentence, "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog." I had a lot of fun with the vocabulary challenge, and with letting the art speak the volumes that the text couldn't.

So now iParenting has awarded HOP with their Media Award for Outstanding Products. My book is a small part of the total package, but I'm glad to have been involved. Congrats to HOP.

[Thanks to Amy Kraft for the last two photos used here. (They are from the HOP blog.)]

See ya at the races,
David

2 comments:

Amy Kraft said...

David, it was a treat to work with you on this. Olive has really been enjoying Tim and Sam. We've been having great conversations about rigs and fans.

Your art looks gorgeous in the final print. Love it!

DES said...

Likewise Amy!

Whenever I see a red big rig barrel past I get a little nostalgic. . . .

All my best to you and Olive!
D